Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The SlingaLaunch - A Drill Powered Machine Gun

In eight days (August 22nd), one of the most interesting crowd funding campaigns ever will end. The Slingatron, a launcher that uses the methods employed by the ancient "david sling" to launch small objects into the orbit.

See it on Kickstarter


It is far from completion, and I want to give it a boost. This weekend, my adaption will premiere on YouTube. You guys get a preview, as always - the priviledges of fellow forum members.

Here is my "SlingaLaunch"!

This sample is experimental, very small (just 50cm is diameter). It is powered by a drill. Inside of the thing, there is a lever that rotates, and a track system that is "chambered" for 25 mm steel balls.

The track system allows the lever to "gently" accelerate the steel ball to the exit velocity, which is significant - even in this small scale model. I haven't found a single steel ball back that I have launched with it so far :)





Here you see into the "muzzle", with a steel ball just about to exit.



This is the lever that has just shot out the ball.




Here you can see the spiral like tracks.



These are the cutouts - one heck of a saw job for sure. The tracks (negatives of these) have been filed and sanded of course.



It works great. Now I have to make the bullet feeder, to turn this beast into a full auto steel ball launcher. I hope the video will bring in some money for the guys! Using slingshot technology to launch stuff into space? I HAVE to suppport them.

3 comments:

  1. I invent for fun, especially simple aerodynamic devices. If the ball comes out the TOP, it will be spinning backwards with a 1 to 1 spin ratio and will go much farther due to its creating Magnus Effect lift, similar to hop-up in Airsoft guns, and similar to golf balls. About 40 years ago, I built a BB gun (4.5 mm)that did basically the same thing, but a semi-auto, not a full auto. For power, I used a rubber squeeze bulb from a bicycle horn. I could shoot shots that floated along a flat trajectory to the target about 20 meters away, and shoot highly curving shots and drop shots. Great fun! You might also use a flywheel as your power source, with a manual speed-up of the flywheel. If the ball rolls between two rails a small distance apart, you can increase the spin ratio and the aerodynamic lift. Your concept is wonderful and I wish you good luck with it. Peter Allen Sharp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Just as I thought all the possibilities have been used, Jörg surprises me again.
    Keep the good stuff comming

    ReplyDelete
  3. FIBONACCI SPIRAL! I think it would work even better. Consider it.

    ReplyDelete